- "You know, Mike... it's the young'ins who got me this. They... think enough of us to watch my videos. To watch this old man lose it... to listen to my advice. Y'all are more than just young'ins - ya'll are family. And I wanna thank ya'll from the bottom of my heart. That means a lot to me."
- — Grandpa to his young'ins.
Charles Marvin Green Jr. (October 16, 1950 - December 10, 2017) better known as The Angry Grandpa, or simply AGP, was the titular subject of the YouTube channel The Angry Grandpa Show. During his 10 years on YouTube, Angry Grandpa garnered a fanbase of over five million "young'ins" through his rage-induced destruction videos, heartfelt vlogs and pranks between himself and his son Michael.
Angry Grandpa passed away from cirrhosis of the liver on December 10, 2017, just two weeks before Christmas Eve. Although Angry Grandpa is gone, he always will be remembered for the videos he created and the lives he touched.
Life Before The Angry Grandpa Show
Charles Marvin Green Jr. was born on October 16, 1950, in Chatham County, Georgia . His mother was Dorothy Mae Green (née Mayer; March 18, 1926 - December 25, 1999), and his father was Charles Marvin Green Sr. (January 25, 1925 - July 6, 1987), who was a Sergeant in the U.S. Army during World War II. Charles was raised in the neighborhood of Sherwood Forest, alongside his older sister Charlene.
When Charles was a boy, his father was involved in a serious car accident. The accident left Charles Sr. permanently paralyzed from the neck down. As a result of this injury, the family struggled financially. In school, Charles was bullied for his weight and for being poor, so he often pretended to be ill so he could stay home from school. He has mentioned attending one year of college several times.
At one point in the late 1960s Charles became estranged from his family and spent two years traveling around America as a hippie with a group of friends. This included attending Woodstock Festival. He had no contact with his family during this time. In his interview with Boogie2988, Michael claimed the reason Charles became estranged from his family was that during a Civil Rights march in Charleston, Charles allowed the marchers to get in his car and drove them down the street - he was kicked out of the house by his mother who wanted nothing to do with him. Charles reconciled with his mother when he returned home.
As a teenager, Charles experimented with drugs. On Halloween 1968, he smoked a joint and had some mescaline in a Jewish Cemetery which resulted in a vivid hallucination of zombies rising out of the various graves.
He married for the first time at some point in the early 1970s. He and his first wife had a daughter, Dawn Michelle, who currently lives in Alabama. After divorcing his first wife, Charles married Tina Sharp in 1982 after getting her pregnant with their first child. They went on to have 3 more children.
Charles was once good friends with serial killer Donald Henry "Pee Wee" Gaskins in the early 1970s.
Charles worked several jobs during his life, including a volunteer firefighter, peanut salesman, apartment maintenance and owner of multiple failed small businesses (such as a Clown-o-Gram business, and a pornography business).
Rise of TheAngryGrandpaShow
The Angry Grandpa Show originally began in 2007 with a video that takes place on Christmas Day. In the video, Angry Grandpa was upset that his family didn't wait for him to come over before they opened their presents. So, in a bit of ironic luck, his son Michael began to record his rage without him knowing. After the video was uploaded, another video was uploaded in 2008 where they confessed to him that the first video was uploaded on Break.com and that it gained thousands of views in just days, which angered Charles - prompting him to throw stuff and then splatter hot coffee into Michael’s face. The channel grew from there.
Angry Grandpa was known for throwing temper tantrums and fits of rage over anything, such as food, disturbances, irritations, etc.
He was known to be extremely gullible. He would believe a lot of what Michael told him, as well as anything that he read on the internet. He claimed that "If it’s on the computer, it's true".
Despite Grandpa's aggression, he has shown throughout the years to have a huge heart and was deep down a passionate, thoughtful man. He cared about people, and wanted to help whoever he could.
Angry Grandpa had fluctuating health problems throughout his life. He was an alcoholic in his younger years and began heavy smoking at a young age. He has had multiple incidences of urinary tract infections, kidney stones and cellulitis.
In the 1990s, Grandpa supposedly weighed as much as 800lbs, and was forced to use a wheelchair for mobility. In the late 1990s, Grandpa underwent gastric bypass surgery. His heart stopped beating during the operation, forcing the doctors to abort the surgery in order to save his life. He had the operation completed years later, and was left with the Dumping Syndrome, which is a known consequence of weight loss surgery. This in turn led to an addiction to pain medication and suicidal ideation. In 2013, he finally began medication to treat the dumping syndrome.
In 2006, Grandpa was admitted to the hospital to remove a massive hernia on his stomach. While in surgery, it is reported that he went into cardiac arrest. Luckily, he was revived but was in a coma for approximately a month following the incident. Doctors had given him a poor prognosis, as his heart and lungs were not recovering. The family had discussed funeral arrangements when Kimberly states she came to the ICU and begged him to wake up, which he did at that moment.
According to an episode of the podcast STFU and Listen, Grandpa suggested that Tina was crazy, and claimed that she was bipolar. He went on to talk about his entire relationship with Tina, and incidents such as her burning down their trailer and pouring hot tea on a young Michael. After his mother's death, Tina destroyed the items his mom left him due to jealousy. After The Angry Grandpa Show channel began, she started getting jealous of the fans - accusing Grandpa of cheating on her with female fans.
Over the months, her sanity fell, and even called DSS on Grandpa, causing him to go to anger management and improvement parenting school. Tina eventually destroyed the social security cards and birth certificates of her grandchildren.
Angry Grandpa tried to relieve the situation, but Tina refused and had planned to move to New York. She took a set of keys and desecrated Angry Grandpa's car. DSS officially made it clear that Tina is not allowed near her grandchildren unless under supervision.
At the court house, the judge disagreed about giving custody to Grandpa since he knew of the Angry Grandpa moniker. Under investigation, they spent hours watching every single video. After a talk with the judge, he agreed to give custody as long as Tina isn't around the grandchildren, unsupervised. After Charles explained this to Tina, she defamed him. She made flyers of him with his number stating that he was looking for women to sleep with. After this issue, Grandpa told her that the divorce is final.
After the courts, he said that she could see the grandchildren if her behavior changed, but she didn't care for that. Grandpa and Michael both spent money to get her transportation and a place to stay, but she continued to ungratefully use the money on things she didn't need, even taking out a loan in Grandpa's name. Michael claims he spend over a thousand dollars a month to pay her utilities and made sure she had a roof over her head because none of her relatives would let her stay with them.
After Tina found a new boyfriend, he broke up with her because she allegedly harassed him at a hospital. She thought the family hired him to date her for a month and leave her. Near Christmas of 2012, due to Jennifer's improvement of working, Grandpa agreed to give his grandchildren back to her. Tina, an attempted middleman, was supposed to bring the grandchildren to Jennifer. Hours later, Jennifer called Grandpa about Tina not coming to pick her up, and Grandpa found out that the grandchildren were with Tina's new drug-addicted boyfriend. He drove there himself and took the boys away from her and vowed to never have them see her again.
He firmly believed that he was not in the wrong in the situation, and denounced any viewers who believed he was. Grandpa and Tina had discussions over time as Michael patched his relationship with her, even helping her move to New York. Surprisingly, Grandpa and Tina eventually became friends once again. They had remained close friends and talked to each other on the phone as evident by live streams and Kim's videos.
Eventually, Tina returned and began to reappear in the Angry Grandpa videos as she patched her relationship with her grandchildren.
Grandpa had a loving relationship with Michael. Michael claimed that when he was younger, the two were inseparable. Some disdain occurred when Michael began filming rages, but Grandpa eventually joined in - even participating in pranks against Michael and Bridgette. Grandpa has stated that without Michael and the viewers, he wouldn't have made it as far as he did into life.
Especially in the earlier videos, Grandpa and Bridgette did not seem to get along well. Michael stated this was because Grandpa believed that Bridgette would take Michael away from him. Even though they had a strained relationship, they have worked together to prank Michael on several occasions. Near his passing, Michael said that Grandpa and Bridgette had a long conversation where he apologized for his wrong-doings towards her.
Grandpa despised his ex-wife Tina with a passion. However, they had worked things out long after the divorce. They had remained close friends and talked to each other on the phone as evident by live streams and Kim's videos.
Grandpa had a hatred for his old neighbor Tina, before they became friends. She started to become involved in several of Michael's pranks against Grandpa. Grandpa and Tina had actually became friends as he supported her and her son, Albert. However, in mid-March 2017, Tina began to make accusations against the entire cast of the Angry Grandpa show including Grandpa on her own YouTube channel and podcasts. While Michael has responded that the accusations were false, and clearly was upset, they decided to cut ties with Tina.
However, on November 3rd, Tina made a video stating that she went to visit the hospital to visit Grandpa. She said that they both talked for a little bit and she apologized for the events back in March.
Grandpa had a somewhat decent relationship with his oldest son until the LSD incident. He has since stated that he wanted nothing to do with him. When he was in the hospital, he hugged Michael and cried, saying he wished that he had named Michael after himself instead of Charlie.
When Charlie called Grandpa and talked with him, Grandpa said "I love you, but I don't want you here. Just live your life." Charlie got angry and posted on his Facebook page that he wished his dad would die sooner. This strained relationship was never fixed, and continues today after Grandpa's passing.
October 2017 Hospitalization
On October 31, 2017, Grandpa was taken to the hospital once again for a flare up of his cirrhosis resulting in a build up of ammonia in his bloodstream. Jennifer called Michael to inform him that, as Grandpa's power of attorney, he needed to come to the hospital. Grandpa was unresponsive at this time and his prognosis was 50/50 if he would even survive that night. His children all came, thinking this was the time to say goodbye to their father. Despite this, he survived the night and a few days later awoke and asked to speak with Donald Trump.
He remained in the ICU for 8 days, slowly regaining his ability to have short conversations. After 4 more days in the hospital he was released (November 13, 2017) to a rehabilitation facility.
Grandpa returned to YouTube in "THE BEST ANNIVERSARY EVER! (GRANDPA'S BACK)", in which Michael brought him a burger, and he emotionally thanked his young'ins for "sticking with [him]." He was seen in multiple vlogs over the next week, including briefly at a family Sunday Dinner, and during Thanksgiving. On approximately November 30, he was re-hospitalized as his ammonia levels had started rising as a consequence of his refusal to take his prescribed medication.
Towards the final month of his life, TheAngryGrandpaShow channel temporarily ceased production of all videos. Grandpa admitted to wanting to go back to doing YouTube with Michael and Bridgette as often as he did before he was diagnosed, but the couple disagreed so he could focus on his health.
Charles died in his home from complications of cirrhosis and pneumonia. He had been in and out of the hospital ever since he was diagnosed with cancer in February of 2017. Although Charles was able to beat the cancer, he developed pneumonia. The main cause for his pneumonia was due to long-term smoking. While going through pneumonia, he was also diagnosed with cirrhosis, which caused the liver to scar and its cells to fail. He died on December 10, 2017. Charles' funeral was held 4 days later on Thursday, December 14, 2017. He was cremated and his ashes were separated in urns that were passed to his children.
Michael announced Grandpa's death via Youtube and Twitter.
After the announcement of his death, many viewers of his channel and YouTube in general, including other famous YouTubers (McJuggerNuggets, Keemstar, Boogie2988, FaZe Rug, and more) and notable WWE figures (Mick Foley and Paul Heyman) expressed their condolences on the loss of Angry Grandpa on various social media platforms.
He will forever be missed.
- He had a notorious sweet tooth.
- He had an abnormal gene that is the causes gray hair at an early age. This was also passed down to his children.
- He blamed other people for the things he broke, and sometimes demanded money from them to replace whatever was destroyed.
- Angry Grandpa was named after his father, Charles M. Green Sr, which is where he also gets his middle name, Marvin.
- His father got into a terrible accident and was paralyzed from the neck down and later died from his injuries.
- Angry Grandpa stated that between Thanksgiving and/or Christmas is when something bad always happened to him.
- His mother died on Christmas morning.
- His father got into an accident and was paralyzed from the neck down 3 days before Thanksgiving and 4 weeks before Christmas. He later died from his injuries in July 1987.
- His sister died two days after Christmas.
- He also served in 1968-75 with the US Army during the Vietnam war.
- He referred to his fans as his "Young'ins."
- He was a former retired volunteer firefighter.
- Angry Grandpa, Stephen Quire (Freak Out Kid), Francis (boogie2988), Psycho Dad, and the rest of the Ridgway family are all famous YouTubers due to their anger, their swearing and their destruction of their things.
- His videos over the years have appeared on several TV Shows, including TruTv's Most Shocking, Rude Tube, TruTv's World's Dumbest, MTV's Pranked and Ridiculousness, and Dr. Drew's show on CNN.
- He was not aware of Michael posting videos of him on the internet until early 2008 when he was told that a video of him had been posted on Break.com which caused him to throw hot coffee onto Michael.
- He has gotten himself banned from several stores and restaurants, including Wal-Mart, Target, Papa Johns, Cici's Pizza, as well as the Sunoco Gas Station near his old trailer.
- Cici's Pizza threatened to sue him for destruction of property.
- He started a series on his GrandpasCorner channel called "Mailbag Monday" where he would open letters and gifts from his fans.
- Despite their brash and often confrontational relationship on camera, he and Michael claimed they have a good father-son relationship off-camera.
- He had occasionally sustained injury during his fits of rage.
- He accidentally cut his hand while stabbing a pumpkin.
- He had pulled his arm while trying to flip his granite table
- He had thrown a phone on the floor, causing it to bounce back and hit his head
- He hurt his foot during the food stamp blowout from a can of spinach.
- He once owned a restaurant, but was scammed out of it.
- He was once friends with serial killer Donald Henry "Pee Wee" Gaskins in the early 1970s. Pee Wee later wrote a letter to him from prison saying he missed him, but Grandpa immediately told him not to write him again. Grandpa says this experience sobered him up for a long time as he could have been one of Gaskin's victims because of his drinking. Grandpa took his kids to see his cell in a prison tour, and on the wall was a drawing of a pentagram with Grandpa's name written in the center of it.
- He lived in a thirty-year-old trailer in Trailwood Trailer Park in South Carolina for a long time. It was home to where the majority his videos took place up until mid-2012 when Boeing purchased the park to turn it into a highway and ultimately forced the residents to vacate the area. This lead to Grandpa rallying his fans in an attempt to stop the purchase and save hundreds of residents from relocating or becoming homeless. His attempts failed.
- He repeatedly defended his lifestyle, claiming a home is a home and people should appreciate what they have no matter how run-down it may seem to other people.
- He was married to Tina for thirty years.
- He stated in one of his videos talking to his late sister Charlene that he only married Tina because she was pregnant and wanted to do the right thing.
- He and Tina divorced in 2012 due to several reasons, including him talking to female fans on Skype, as well as his constant never-ending verbal abuse and disrespect towards her over thirty years. He claimed he was happier than he has ever been before now that Tina was out of his life.
- He also had a cyst on his stomach in 2010 that caused him severe pain until he finally decided to cut it out himself with a knife.
- He had his own personal channel called Grandpa's Corner where he gave his own personal take on current events, stories from his past, post video events, and advice to his followers.
- He moved into a newer, well-maintained trailer in July of 2012 after Boeing forced him out of his old trailer. He said he was barely able to find a new home before the park offered him a lease on the current trailer he lives in now. His four grandsons lived with him.
- His political views were strictly polarized. He had never endorsed any one political party and has both criticized and endorsed various politicians. He supported Obama during the last election but went on to criticize his actions. He called Fox News for condemning Obama's actions during Hurricane Sandy when Bush did the same during Hurricane Katrina. He also voted for current South Carolina governor Nikki Haley in the 2010 gubernatorial election, but went on to heavily criticize her in several videos in 2012 for allowing Boeing to purchase his old trailer park's lot and forcing the residents to move out while she did nothing to offer help to those relocating, and promised to do everything he can in the next election to cost her another term. He also had stated he hated unions but also criticized big corporations, in particular Boeing and Wal-Mart, for mistreating their employees and not caring about the little people who struggle to make a living.
- In a Q&A video he said he supported legalizing marijuana, saying that "something that grows in the ground and is natural should be legal".
- In an interview with the Charleston City Paper, his son Michael said TruTv once approached them with an offer to do a reality show on their network but Michael declined because it would have required them to script scenarios and said Grandpa was not a good actor and it wouldn't be worth the effort.
- Despite his angry and brash persona on camera, people who meet him claimed he was very charming, polite and funny.
- He credited his YouTube channel for turning his life around and getting on the right path.
- After his channel reached 200,000 subscribers, he suffered a humiliation titled "Grandpa's Walmart Humiliation" in which he went to the Wal-Mart he was banned from and stood around out front with two signs that said "I Love Obama" and "Elvis is Sexy".
- He said he believed in Jesus but chose not to go to church. He was a non-denominational Christian. He didn't attend church because he felt they don't really care about helping people and their only goals are to make money and to proselytize, and had encouraged his fans not to give money to churches and use it to instead directly help people on their own accord.
- Angry Grandpa once revealed on the Robert Boner Radio Show that when he reached 300,000 subscribers, he was going to Graceland in an Elvis outfit and singing Elvis's Greatest Hits. This information wasn't supposed to be known for another 2 months.
- Grandpa had apparently experienced paranormal activities in his younger days as stated in various videos.
- When Grandpa was just a kid he claims that he met a ghost at his grandfather's funeral wearing a nice blue suit, who gave him a nickel. When he told his grandmother about the stranger, she revealed to him that the man was Mr Jones, who had died 10 years earlier and was buried in the blue suit.
- Grandpa went and visited Alice's grave with his friends many years ago. According to the legend, if you touch her grave while wearing a ring, the ring vanishes. He claims that when he touched her grave his ring suddenly disappeared.
- Angry Grandpa claims to have seen the Summerville Light in person when he was younger.
- Angry Grandpa was taking 7 medications twice a day, as revealed in the Year-End-Review Video from 2010.
- He was always alone on Valentine's Day, a source of anger and frustration over the fact that he seemed to believe the holiday is for lovers only and sexual intercourse.
- He had dumping syndrome as a result of his gastric bypass surgery.
- Angry Grandpa was very verbal about political and social issues happening across the world. He had discussed the Casey Anthony case, the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting, the Charleston Church massacre, etc. throughout separate videos.
- Angry Grandpa hated Elvis because his ex-wife, Tina, was obsessed with him.
- Angry Grandpa was of English, Irish, Scottish, Samoan Mapua Letui and remote Welsh ancestry, meaning his ancestors came from all over Britain and Hawaii Samoan.
- In November 2016, Grandpa met McJuggerNuggets.
- Angry Grandpa was diagnosed with skin cancer and a pneumatic infection in mid February 2017. He later had surgery in early March 2017 after he found a tumor on his back.
- He stated that wished he had named Michael after himself instead of Charlie.
- According to one of Michael's vlogs, Angry Grandpa's final words were " I love you".
- He passed on December 10th, 2017.
- After his passing, Michael revealed that Angry Grandpa was not comfortable with Doug because Doug was "abrasive".
- When Angry Grandpa was about 21, he shot someone from his job in the leg for bringing a black snake to him; according to Angry Grandpa, this is when his fear for snakes and mice began.